This is the year we will break ground! As the year begins we are still working on our new Planned Development Application. While we are waiting for approval by the County Commissioners, we will be finalizing our house plans, site plans, and hiring a builder. On our present schedule, we should be on track to break ground around after Labor Day. We may not be in our homes by Christmas, but maybe? Wouldn’t that be amazing. There’s lots of work to do this year. Come join in the fun and work it will take to build a community we will all love to be a part of!!
Harmony Terrace is a new residential community near Tampa, Florida. We are on a path to start construction on our new community of 26 units of different sizes as soon as the ink is dry on all the plans and contracts. We own almost 5 acres of beautiful land with a main house that will be converted to our common house, several out buildings, and many towering Grand Oak trees that provide glorious shade.
We began planning in 2018 as an interest group of friends who wanted to build a new and different kind of neighborhood that would not follow the isolated model of traditional available housing. After researching, we found the models of Cohousing and “Pocket Neighborhoods”. We have been dreaming, organizing, and planning together since that time, working under the name Cohousing Tampa. In January of 2021, our dreams came to reality when we were able to buy 3 acres of land. In June, we were able to buy nearly 2 acres more. During our first year, we purchased our land, hired attorneys, hired an architect, and we are well on our way to meet our goal to create our community.
We are now busy in our second year of building our community from the ground up. We have not hired outside consultants to do the work for us. We the members are jointly making decisions as to what our community will look like. Here are a few FAQ’s:
- What style of houses will we build? We have decided on a “Florida Vernacular” style. This broadly means houses with wide eaves (so we can keep the windows open when it rains), broad porches with screens to enjoy the warm winters, high peaked metal roofs to quickly shed rain, tall narrow windows to let in the light… etc. The houses will all be well-insulated concrete block construction, ADA accessible, etc.
- How can we preserve our natural land and the many giant oaks on the property? Each home and homesite has been uniquely designed to fit in and around the trees to maintain our tree-shaded property. We decided that many of the houses will be clustered together (like villas) and some will be free-standing.
- How much will the houses cost? We honestly don’t know yet. We estimate from $180,000 for the 1 BR to $225K for the larger 2 BR. We are always striving to build affordable, high-quality homes. We will hire one builder to construct our 5 models simultaneously and receive discounts for the scale of our total construction costs.
- How can we build sustainably and with energy efficiency? We plan to include sustainable building materials and methods as much as possible.
- How can we create a balance of private and common spaces? Each home will have a homesite that includes the footprint of the home and 5′ on all sides for private ownership. Each homesite will also include ownership of 1/26 of all the common areas.
- What will we include in our common spaces? We will have more than an acre of common land in our “central park”, a swimming pool, an art studio, a wood-working space, a community garden, shared golf-carts or scooters or tricycles for transportation inside our community.
- How can we encourage a range of diversities in our community? Our marketing campaign this year will focus on attracting a diverse range of people into our community.
We have weekly meetings in-person at our property and on Zoom. You are welcome to join us any time. Contact Marla to answer your questions and she will share the zoom link.
Please look around our website for more information (it is being updated daily) and go to the Contact page to reach out to members of our group to chat or ask questions. We are now designing and individualizing our houses so now is a great time to jump in and join us.